Thursday, September 13, 2007

9/4/2007 Convocation

It's the formal kick-off to the new academic year! Here at UMF, convocation is for new students and faculty. I don't think there's a place on campus (or in town) that can hold the whole student body and all the faculty, so just new students come. The faculty formally process in, there are speeches, and then everyone feels scholarly and we go on our way.

Here are the faculty gathering in "The Landing," a room in the lower level of the student union building.


Then, we formally process out of the building, down High Street, and into the Dearborn Gymnasium where the new students are all seated in folding chairs on the gymnasium floor. The procession is led by a bagpiper!


Afterwards, I had Kristin take my photo outside my office wearing my nifty new regalia.

IMG_4693.JPG

No comments: