Saturday, January 13, 2007

Monday, January 8, 2007

Grace called Thursday to check on things and see when I was coming. She said it had been unseasonably warm but that a front was coming in Monday . . . perfect timing since I'm coming on Monday as well. ☺ But it turns out this front only has rain and some "coolish" temperatures.

Today, the first leg of my flight is Dallas to DC. Our plane was coming in from DC and then doing a turnaround and going back to DC. The plane was late arriving because of headwinds. But we landed early because of tailwinds. The usual 2:43 minute flight only took 2:12 minutes . . . a savings of 31 minutes! That is serious tailwinds.

At Reagan airport (DC), I pretty much walked off of one plane and on to the next. On the second flight, I sat in the same row as a young man but we didn't talk much as I almost immediately went to sleep. When I woke up, there was an older man in the young man's place. What happened? I felt a little Rip Van Winkle-like.

My flight from NYC to Portland was in a different terminal, but at least at LaGuardia you don't have to go through security when you change terminals. The displays said the plane was leaving at 5:55 and the current time was 5:13. I went straight to the gate. But at the gate, it said the next flight to Portland was at 6:33. There was a lady ahead of me who was asking about my flight. The gate attendant didn't seem to know that the flight was scheduled for 5:55. After we finally confirmed that we were talking about the same flight, the lady and I left, both agreeing that the displays in the terminal didn't know what the display in the gate knew. As we walked past a display in the terminal, we saw it change from "on time" to 6:33. It eventually was 7:05 when we boarded. While I waited, my phone rang and it was Vicki W. It was so great to get caught up on her adventures of her first semester of law school and all her plans for the future!

We finally left for Portland. The captain only explained that the first flight was late and the domino effect had taken over and everything was late. Except for the fact that the only restroom on the plane was out of order, it was a pretty uneventful flight. One of my bags made it to the baggage claim area, but the second bag didn't. After filing a claim with baggage services, I called the shuttle from my hotel and went and sat outside in the not-so-cold cold air and waited. At my hotel I checked email and found ~80 non-spam emails. Eeeek. I went to bed at 1am after answering all those emails.

No comments: