Saturday, January 13, 2007

First Friday Fun, January 12, 2007

The faculty here have "Friday Seminars" most Friday afternoons. You have to watch your email for the location each week, but it's always a location with food and "beverages". I went last night (before dinner at the house) and had a good time. I mostly listened to a conversation between two professors about Jean-Paul Sartre. About the only other name I recognized in the conversation was Simone de Beauvoir. And the only reason I know those two names are associated with each other because of the Movie "The Truth About Cats and Dogs." It was exactly the kind of conversation that should be going on at a Faculty Friday night event! I was loving it (and the guy who is teaching the class on Sartre said I could attend his class and I think I will).

I did get to meet another new professor in early childhood education who got her Ph.D. very recently after working in the field for quite a while. We had a lot in common. She was very nice and I hope to run into her again either in the Education Center or at the next Friday Seminar.

When I got home, my roommate told me my box (of stuff I had shipped to myself) had arrived. She asked what was in it and I told her I didn't remember much except warm clothes and that I had packed my Texas Independence Day stuff in my suitcase 'cuz I had to make sure it arrived safely. So then I had to tell her and her boyfriend about Texas Independence Day and she said, "Let's have a party!" Oh, I really like this woman!!

Hey, it turns out my roommate goes to St. Joseph's Catholic Church! Yesterday, I told her I had to stop by the church to see what time services were and she asked me which church. She flipped out when I told her which one. She thought I had found out her church and was pulling her leg. She thinks that God wanted her to invite me to be her roommate and I couldn't agree with her more! We are having a blast.

She had invited a good friend of hers over for dinner, so with her boyfriend, that made 4. We had Chinese food, then played Trivial Pursuit boys vs. girls. [Note to Dr. Mari: there were no "Australia" answers but then this was the Millennium version and not the Genus version. We also did not play with any brass swans.] The funny thing was, there were two questions that I knew, not because I'm good at trivia ['cuz I'm not] but because they were about Dallas. I think they were the only ones I got right all night, but who's counting. ;-)

No comments: