Saturday, July 19, 2008

7/19/08 Dog Days of Summer

I never really have understood the meaning or the heritage of that expression "Dog Days of Summer" . . . I've heard it has something to do with the constellation Canis Major whose brightest star is Sirius (I think that means "scorching hot" in Greek or something). But I've only seen the constellation Orion with his dog Canis Major in the winter, so what's the association with summer?

Whatever the expression meant in the past, today it meant that everyone and their dog (literally) were out and about in town. Every car that drove past me or that I walked past had a dog in the back seat. There were a few passenger seat dogs, but the majority were back seat dogs. It was wild! Farmington is a pretty dog-friendly town but I've never seen this many dogs. And none of them were out walking, they were all riding in cars. Usually when I see dogs in Farmington they're out walking their masters. Not today! Go figure.

No comments: