Thursday, May 15, 2008

5/15/08 You know you've got a good landlord when . . .

Today, I signed the lease on my new apartment. My landlords are Darlene (whose office is practically next door to mine) and John. I went to their house to sign the lease (they live in the house above my daylight basement apartment) and ended up spending over an hour just chatting with them. I knew Darlene from work but had never met John. We had a blast just laughing and telling stories. I'm not sure how it came up but a discussion of Mexican food and the nuances between true Mexican, Tex-Mex, and New Mexican led my revealing that I loved green chiles and the next thing I know, John is handing me a bag with two frozen green chiles in it. Then he asks if I've ever had pepper jelly. Oh my! I love pepper jelly--green or red or any other color. Next thing I know, he's gone downstairs and emerges from the front basement (next to but not connected to my basement apartment) with a jar of red pepper jelly that he had made himself. So I left with a lease in hand and food to put in my refrigerator. Now that's the way to start a new lease!

No comments: