Wednesday, April 9, 2008

3/18/08 A Day That Will Live In Infamy

Today we had a special visitor in our department meeting, Mike (the tenured professor who is on leave of absence for 2 years with a possible one year extension whose position I'm filling as a visiting professor for 2 years with a possible one year extension). He announced that he's resigning his position as of June 1, 2008 which means there will be an open tenure-track position. The department will do a formal national search in the fall. Suddenly my timeline is drastically altered. My visiting professor gig is up earlier than I had planned. I wanted to be a Scarlet O'Hara about it ("I'll think about that . . . tomorrow") but now I have to decide . . . do I want to stay in Maine or move on?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you decided to *:stay:* as it appears that your quite happy living in Farmington, and that the community is supporting you so much to take the next challenge as not 'trying on a new place' but staying in a place that you have fallen in love with...

Afterall... as you posted in your blog that you want to explore Canada, your at a great place as a 'starting off' place as far as future experiences go to explore what your Northern neighbor has to offer! =)

Anxious to hear what you decided, as through reading your blog, it seems to me, you might have already decided to stay,... but were surprised by that answer!?

Your love of Maine shines through your posts... STAY... and APPLY like your students said on your "write on, wipe off" board!