Thursday, October 2, 2008

10/2/08 Ribbon Cutting at Dirigo Elementary School

Today was the first official day of the graduate course in Dixfield. I was supposed to take photos for my "Autumn album" but instead, I stayed at the school after the class was dismissed in order to attend the ribbon cutting ceremony for the new school building. It's a beautiful building. In this photo, Dr. Tom is speaking. He's the superintendent of schools for this district. He's a great person to work with (I've been working with him directly and indirectly on the two graduate courses I've taught here) and is a great community builder. What came through most in this ceremony that was intended to be a thank you event for everyone involved in creating this school (builders, contractors, teachers, community members . . . everyone) was the great sense of community that abounds in this area, especially under Dr. Tom's leadership.

No comments: