Saturday, May 3, 2008

5/3/08 Would you like fries with that?

"Would you like fries with that?" is a classic American fast food chain question. But at Tim Hortons, the question is, "Would you like a donut with that?" Tim Hortons started as a donut and coffee house in Canada in 1964. It now has an expanded menu and outnumbers McDonald's in that country nearly 2 to 1. Karen and I first met Tim Hortons on our trip to Ontario in 2005. We went in for dinner and were just plain "weirded out" at the idea of a donut with your sandwich.


This weekend I was in Old Orchard Beach to do some work with Grace and we went to Tim Hortons for lunch while waiting for my tire to get repaired* and that flood of memories came rushing back when I saw the menu. Now you can substitute either a cookie or an apple for your donut.

*Tire story: I had a tiny sliver of metal in my tire which gave me a slow leak . . . I must have picked it up on Tuesday on the way to Dixfield for my graduate class that I teach because I usually only drive on Tuesdays and Saturdays. I had AAA come put on my spare on Friday and was going to get the tire fixed at WalMart first thing Saturday morning (they're open 7 to 7, 7 days a week). First thing Saturday morning, 4 other people beat me to WalMart and there was a 2-3 hour wait. Then I went to VIP, a local auto supply chain store, but they only had one guy working all day and he was booked. Who knew you could make an appointment for your tires? So I drove to OOB and got it fixed at Sullivan Tire near Grace's condo.

No comments: