Wednesday, February 7, 2007

the case of the reverse disappearing footprints

This might be good for an episode of CSI.

I came home one night and started heading upstairs when I suddenly realized I still had my snowboots on. I quickly took them off and went back to the entry door. I put the boots in the pile by the door and got a paper towel to wipe up my muddy footprints that I had left. I went back to where I had taken off the boots and wiped up those footprints and then worked my way back to the door. As I approached the door, the footprints were lighter in color and smaller . . . less water. That's weird. They should've done that as I walked away from the door and eventually all the mud came off. Why were they disappearing as I approached the door and in fact, there were none by the door??

I wish I had a little flap under which I could hide the answer. Oh well, here it is: When I first got home, the dirt and snow were still frozen on the bottom of my boots. So the first few steps, everything was still stuck to the boot. As I walked further into the house, the ice and snow started to melt and left the little boot prints. The further into the house I got, the longer I'd been in the warmth of the house and the more the muck melted, leaving bigger and wetter prints.

Did you figure it out?? Congratulations! You are a either good detective for a person from away, or a Mainer (or Mainiac) who's laughing that I had to figure that out.

No comments: