Thursday, July 17, 2008

7/17/08 Sheriff Andy Taylor?

As I was coming out of the post office, I spotted MRM going in to Dunkin Donuts. This would be the second time in a week that I bumped into her in downtown Farmington. I dodged across the street, stopping traffic in both directions (as a pedestrian in Maine, that's my privilege) and followed her into Dunkin Donuts just to say "Hi" so that I can count this as another "running into folks on the street" event.

This week in particular I keep bumping into people I know as I walk down the street . . . Jo on her way to the post office to mail a package, Chris on her way into the Homestead with friends visiting from Michigan, Maggy and Harry on my way out of the post office. Part of it is that I know more people, part of it is that it's summer in Maine and nobody's hanging out inside, part of it is that this is a small town and your chances of running into someone you know are far greater than they are in a big town. But whether it's mathematical or magical, it's a blast.

I was sharing my enthusiasm for this activity with Rodney who said, "Next thing you know, you'll be bumping right into Sheriff Andy Taylor on the streets of Mayberry." He's right. And I look forward to that day.

No comments: