Monday, April 9, 2007

April 7, 2007: Lobster Dinner

YUMMM!!! My first lobster since August 2004! Grace (my colleague with whom I team teach) and I had a big proposal to write so I came with her for Easter weekend to Old Orchard Beach. We worked from 8am to 4pm on Saturday then went to Bayley's Lobster House to pick up fresh lobster for dinner. She called in our order and when we arrived, our steamed lobsters were waiting for us. We also picked out haddock chowder, potato salad, cole slaw, Maine shrimp (a darker pink than Texas Gulf shrimp), lemons, and tamale (NO relationship to Mexican food tamales that are meat placed inside a layer of cornmeal dough (masa), that is then wrapped in corn husks and either baked or steamed). What a feast!

We took it all back to the condo and spent the next hour enjoying our leisurely and delicious meal. It really hasn't been lobster season until now, so even though I've been in Maine for 3 months, this was really my first chance to have lobster due to availability. But we are at the source here in Old Orchard.

After dinner we took a walk on the beach. But it was so cold we were both in long winter coats with hoods pulled tightly around our faces, gloves on, and wishes for even warmer clothes. I was going to take lots of pictures of snow on the beach but when we got downstairs and walked around the building, I turned on my camera and the battery was completely dead. For once, I only brought the camera and not the case which meant that my backup battery was not available. No pictures tonight!

No comments: