Monday, March 26, 2007

March 24, 2007: Saturday Adventure at Renys

Here's the "March Mudness Sale" I was telling you about. ;-)


I was going to scan the flyer myself but I found it online at their website:
http://www.renys.com

The plastic bags they put your stuff in at checkout say, "Renys -- Your Maine Department Store" which is a pretty clever slogan. But this ad says, "Renys -- A Maine Adventure" and I think that describes it well.

I strolled through Renys when I came to visit in December and knew that it was a rare treasure but I only got to spend about half an hour in it. I do remember being impressed that the Christmas ornaments were hanging right next to the Coleman lantern mantles and other lantern replacement parts. Saturday, I spent an hour and a half in Renys. I wasn't rushed as I was in December and I did have a little a list of items I wanted and I was just going to see if they had them. Oh, my. They have everything. Check out the ad. Where else can you get canned red salmon, Comet liquid cleanser, a sleeping bag for $15, a hay rack liner (whatever that is), polo shirts, and moose salt and pepper shakers?? Here's what I bought on Saturday:


  • 4 CD's at $2.99 each: Benny Goodman, Etta James, Peggy Lee, and The Platters

  • a ball of cotton twine for $0.69

  • an 80-piece picture hanging assortment (picture hangers, nails, saw-tooth hangers, wire, etc.) in an 8-compartment plastic box for $0.99

  • a hammer to hang those picture-hanging goodies on the wall--I wasn't going to get one 'cuz I knew I could borrow one from several people in the building, but for $0.99, I decided I wanted my very own

  • a long-sleeved, periwinkle blue, 100% cotton crew-neck collared shirt for $12.99 (that wasn't the sale price, that was their regular price on it, though there was a black line drawn through the name on the label [not hotwater river but a similar name of a very high-quality brand])

  • a surprise for Dr. Mari that I can't tell you about until she gets in the mail and figures out what it is, but it defies all categories

  • 2 magnetic 3.5" x 5" picture frames (well, picture sleeves) for $0.99 each [they're hard to find anymore in that size, but Mother needed some for her refrigerator for some older photos from before her switch to 4" x 6"]

  • a big basket to sit on the floor of my office and hold bottles of water for $12.99 (I didn't like the look of the case of bottled water sitting there . . . to me it was the first thing you saw when you walked in the office)

  • a pair of scissors for $0.99

  • an ice cube try for $0.99 (to store earrings in my dresser drawer)


There are 3 floors and the basement has a 6 foot ceiling in some places. There's something fun at every turn. Some of the things I looked at but did not get included imitation Wellington boots for mud season, a desk lamp (not that they didn't have a giant selection from cheap and tacky to unusual to really nice), picture frames, Renys brand jelly (they even have jalapeno pepper jelly which I was wanting for the Texas Independence Day party), cast iron skillets and Dutch ovens, phone accessories, iPod accessories, stationery, margarita glasses, Easter decoration and candy, rugs, jewelry, and a whole floor of clothing.

It is definitely an adventure!

No comments: