Sunday, March 4, 2007

March 2, 2007: Happy Texas Independence Day

I get to celebrate with another snow day! I stayed up until 3am last night/this morning making chili for the Texas Independence Day party on Saturday. There was no snow when I went to bed. I woke up a little after 6 and there was lots of snow. But was it enough? I tried looking it up online but didn't see it posted. I tried calling the information line but got someone's cell number. I obviously misremembered the information phone number. ooops. I turned on my radio that plays the television stations but obviously I can't see the closings scrolling on the bottom of the screen. So I go downstairs and watch TV. Channel 13 lists the closings by category...all the services, all the schools, the universities are all lumped together. They listed a lot of universities but not UMF. I switched to another channel that lists the closings by county but no UMF on that list. Finally, I switched to another channel and there it was. Aaaah. UMF is closed. Then I double checked online and found it. I'm not sure if it wasn't posted earlier or if I just didn't see it the first time I looked.

I went back to sleep until 10. :-)

MRM had to go in to work (she closed the library but she had to turn in her budget to the Town Manager and the Town offices weren't closed). RBF went with her. I had an hour and a half phone call with UNT (they weren't having a snow day with their 70 degree weather) and made a second batch of chili along with corn bread. I tried my hand at pinto beans, Texas Trash (basically a spicy Chex Mix) and jello molds in the shape of Texas and stars. The pinto beans were pretty yummy and I was very pleased with how the Texas Trash turned out (especially considering I had to substitute on some of the spices). But the jello molds weren't very successful. I had too much water in the first batch. It took a while to finally get the jello out of the molds and when it finally did come out, it looked like a star or the outline of the state for a while and then quickly started losing its shape. Oh well.

More details on the party later. But I loved having a snow day today, even though it puts me behind in both of the classes I teach. I did sent out an email on what our modified schedule is going to look like. So who loves snow days more . . . students or teachers??

No comments: