Thursday, March 15, 2007

March 15, 2007: a visit with the dogs

I was working in my office today and looked up to see MRM standing in the doorway. She and RBF were out walking the dogs and were "in the neighborhood." "Benny and Cassie are downstairs and would love to see you." So I put on my coat and went downstairs with MRM. There, standing in front of the Education Center was RBF with the two dogs. It was so fun to see them! But as soon as I stepped outside, my focus changed to the weather. It was really cold!

It was in the high 30's and raining when I left the house this morning, so I wore my REI windbreaker/rain jacket. Yesterday, the lows were in the high 30's, so I was fine walking home at night, but I already knew (it was about 5:30 when they stopped by) that I was going to be cold walking home even if I left right now. And I would be REALLY cold walking home if I left at my usual time. So I petted Benny and Cassie and thanked MRM and RBF for stopping by and went back to my office to finish what I was working on and pack up. I actually left my office by 6:15 which is really early for me and headed home in the daylight. It was cold, but not much colder than when I visited the dogs (and their people). Fortunately, what little wind there was was at my back. I made it safely home. I didn't get nearly as much done as I would have if I had stayed at work, but it was so nice to be warm inside and not have to worry about that cold walk home.

In Texas, we always say, "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute." I said that once to one of my students who told me that's what they say about Maine. Today was my first time to witness that.

No comments: